Treatment of Excessive Sweating (hyperhidrosis)
Sweating problems impair quality of life…
Excessive sweating is a medical and social problem that affects private and working life of many people negatively. Excessive sweating turns into a social problem that impairs life quality of the person who experiences it and that leads to low self-esteem not only during summer months but also in every season.
People with problem of excessive sweating express that they don’t feel comfortable among people, they cannot shake hands with others, they cannot choose their clothes freely and cannot wear the shoes they want to wear. Because of such complaints, life quality of people who experience this problem is impaired and it has negative effect on their mental health.
Botox for excessive sweating is the most popular method that is preferred for treating excessive sweating problem today as it poses minimal risk, it is practical, easy to apply and provides effective results.
Botox for excessive sweating, the effects of which last up to approximately 6 months after the procedure, is on top of the list of the most popular treatments for sweating in terms of price-performance ratio.
What is Botox for Excessive Sweating?
Botox for excessive sweating blocks the nerves that stimulate the sweat glands in the area where sweating occurs. Sweating does not occur due to blocked nerves. The procedure of Botox for excessive sweating takes approximately 15 minutes. Skin surface can be numbed with topical anesthetic creams applied before treatment.
Which Areas of the Body Does Botox for Excessive Sweating Target?
The most frequently performed procedure of Botox for excessive sweating is underarm Botox.
- Underarm Botox for excessive sweating,
- Hand Botox for excessive sweating,
- Foot Botox for excessive sweating.
Which Points Must Be Considered Before the Procedure?
- Patients must stop taking anticoagulant (blood-thinning) drugs and drinking alcohol at least 5 days before the procedure.
- If the patient needs to remove unwanted hair through epilation or wax, they must do so at least 15 days before or after the procedure.
- Patient should shave the area 3 days before the procedure.
- Patient should not apply cream or wear deodorant and perfume within the last 24 hours before the procedure.
- Patient should stop drinking hot beverages within the last 3 hours before the procedure.
How is Procedure of Botox for Excessive Sweating Performed?
‘Positive iodine test’ is conducted to identify the points of sweat glands in people who will get Botox for excessive sweating for the first time. Patient should not take a shower and wear roll-on or spray on their armpit within the last twenty-four hours before the procedure.
In the clinic, iodine is applied onto the patient and areas of sweating are determined with starch powder. It prevents injection of Botox in vain.
Especially the procedures performed for underarm sweating are quite comfortable and pain-free.
Pain-reliving creams must be applied, if required, in case of treatments for sweating administered on palms and feet. Procedure does not require the patient to take any drugs and get dressing in the aftermath thereof.
Which Points Must Be Considered After the Procedure?
- Patient can go back to everyday activities and work after the procedure.
- Within 1 to 2 days following the procedure, patient must refrain from being engaged with strenuous activities that require extreme strength and that increase body temperature and must avoid overheated environments.
- Patient should not rub the Botox-injected areas within 1 to 2 days following the procedure.
How Does Botox Prevent Sweating?
Botox blocks neurotransmission in the relevant area temporarily. Deactivation of cholinergic nerves that stimulates sweating in the related area prevents sweat glands from springing into action and, consequently, from making perspiration.
What Are the Side Effects of Botox for Excessive Sweating?
Bruising and swelling may occur on site of injection following the procedure. It is normal. Such side effects go away within a short period of time.
How Long Does Effectiveness of Botox for Sweating Last?
Botox for sweating takes effect within 3 to 7 days. Sweating stops in the said area of the body within such period completely. The effectiveness of the Botox for sweating lasts approximately for 6 months. The frequency of repeat injections shall be prescribed by the physician in line with the needs of the patient. If the patient begins to experience excessive sweating again, it can be renewed mostly at the end of at least 6 months or 1 year. Repeating the procedure once a year helps prolong the effectiveness of Botox injections.
Who Should Not Get Botox for Excessive Sweating?
- Patients with skin disease on the area where Botox is supposed to be injected
- Pregnant women
- Patients with muscle or nerve disease
- Patients with bleeding disorders
How Much Does Botox for Excessive Sweating Cost?
Pricing of Botox for excessive sweating changes depending on the largeness of the site of injection and the amount of drug to be used.
For further information about the prices of ‘Excessive Sweating’ and setting up an appointment, please do not hesitate to call our clinic on (+90) 392 365 55 56.